Welcome to my home on the web. You may have noted the mountains in the banner are the misty Blue Ridge of North Carolina. Did you know time traveling Highlanders live there? Read about them in the Highland Gardens series. Curious about the big cat? Florida panther~from the Crimson Storm paranormal novel, Sea Panther.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Chili Today

Not cold—chili. Hot chili. I’m in the kitchen today cooking up a large batch of medium-heat black bean chili.

I make this chili every year for a charity event in which my husband participates. It even finalled one year. J The first time I made the chili, I named it Crimson Storm Dark Pirate Chili for my Crimson Storm paranormal romance series. ‘Sea Panther’, my 2013 Golden Heart® finalling manuscript, is the 1st novel in the series.

For tomorrow’s cook-off, my husband gave it a new name. Shhh! It’s a secret until the judging is over. J

My favorite chili recipe…

 Black Bean Chili

Ingredients:

1 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup catsup
½ cup water
½ cup celery, chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
3 cans (15.5 ounces each) black beans, rinsed
3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, minced
1 teaspoon adobe sauce
2 squares (2 ounces) 70% Cacao Extra Bittersweet Chocolate
Shredded Mexican blend cheese
(Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero Cheese)


1. Sauté onion in olive oil. Add beef and brown lightly. Drain off excess fat. Add catsup, water, celery, lemon juice, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Simmer covered for 30 minutes

2. Add black beans, diced tomatoes with liquid, chili powder, chipotles, adobe sauce and chocolate. Simmer for an additional 30 minutes.

Serve chili over brown rice with a generous sprinkling of cheese. Tortilla chips on side. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment