Welcome to my home on the web. You may have noted the mountains in the banner are the misty Blue Ridge of North Carolina. Did you know time traveling Highlanders live there? Read about them in the Highland Gardens series. Curious about the big cat? Florida panther~from the Crimson Storm paranormal novel, Sea Panther.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What's in Bloom? Crape Myrtle, Phlox, Sunflowers


There has been much discussion since we moved into our new home as to the possible color of the crape myrtle tree in our front garden. I didn't want to select new plants until I knew the color of the tree. The neighbor's tree bloomed lavender. Another's bloomed white. Ours was slow, building anticipation. The colordeep rose.

I'll take pictures of the garden now and design a plan during the winter to harmonize with the crape myrtle. Plants will be ordered and planted in the spring. A garden faerie statue would be a nice addition. We'll have a refurbished garden for 2014.
 

A new garden is always full of surprises. When I weeded in the spring, I left behind a couple of sprouts I wasn't sure about. Maybe they were weeds. If I was lucky, they might grow into a garden specimen.

I'm so glad I didn't rip them out and discard them. They turned out to be white phlox with a heavenly scent.



Before we hung the thistle feeder on this part of the fence, we had a sunflower feeder, hoping to attract cardinals, titmice, and chickadees.

Some of the seeds fell and sprouted and now we have a run of volunteer sunflower plants.



It's pleasant to sit in the back garden and work. This week, I'm editing the second book in the Highland Gardens series, Just Once in a Verra Blue Moon, planned for a September release.

~Dawn Marie

2 comments:

  1. This particular post caught my eye, Dawn. We have a crape myrtle at our place in Viera but never saw it in bloom being up north for the summer months. I had mentioned this to our year around neighbor who just recently took and forwarded several pictures of it the other day. Looks like we have matching pink ones! Enjoy!
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the deep pink! Hopefully, we'll visit Florida this winter. :)

    ReplyDelete